Thursday, January 5, 2012

What 2012 has in store... Goals and hopes.

After yesterday's extra long post, I'm determined to keep this one a lot shorter!
I'm also determined, even more so after the humbling and positive reactions to my posts so far (and to my transformation generally), to not slip back into my old, unhealthy ways.


I want to make sure that over the next year, I'm not just continuing to become as and healthy as I can be, but that I'm also having as much fun and as many new experiences along the way as I can too.

So, I've decided to set myself some goals for 2012 and to put them "out there", publicly, so that family, friends, and readers of this blog can make sure I stay on track... 



Main Goals
  • Run 2012 kilometres in 2012 - that's running 5.5K on average, every day of the year. 
  • Ride, run, swim & walk a combined total of at least 5000 miles in 2012 - that's going to mean a lot of bike riding in spring / summer to have any hope of hitting that number!
  • Weigh between 140lbs and 155lbs (10st 0lbs and 11st 1lbs) for the whole year - I started the year at the very top of that range, this morning's weigh in was almost exactly 154lbs - ideally I want to stay around the middle of that range all year. 
  • Volunteer at Parkrun - I love Parkrun - it's a fantastic event every Saturday, if you don't know what it is, please check it out, and if you're anywhere near Nottingham, it would be great if you come along one week with us - I've yet to meet anyone who hasn't enjoyed it when they have.
Bike Riding Goals

  • Ride over 3000 miles this year - that's going to take a lot of riding to work, and going to be really difficult to fit in around all the running - long weekend rides are key I think!
  • Complete my first Sportive bike ride (semi-competitive, officially timed and marshalled event)
  • Finish a 100 mile + ride in one day - the longest I've done so far is just 62 miles, so it will be a big step up for me
Running Goals
  • 5K: Get my PB down from 21:47 to under 21 mins - that might not sound a lot, but will be a massive leap forward for me.
  • 10K: Get my PB down from 45:03 to under 44 mins - I think I can do this, but it will need the right course and the right weather conditions
  • Half Marathon: Complete my first one (Silverstone: 11th March), and do it in under 2 hours, ideally in under 1hr 50 mins. If the first 13.1 goes as I hope, then I'd love to run more than one, and get down to around 1hr 45 mins. 
  • Marathon: I'm reluctant to set this as a proper "target" for this year yet, as until I've done the half marathon, I'm not totally sure I'll be able to do a full one - but I would like to complete my first marathon too if I can - especially if I can find training partners to do it with!
  • Streak: not running naked :), running as many days this year as I can. My first run this year (just after midnight on Jan 1st) was my 40th consecutive day of running at least 3 miles / 5K every day (I started on 22nd November last year)... I'm not planning on stopping any time soon, but also not planning to definitely run every day this year (I realise that injuries, illness and training for some events may mean I have to stop at some point). I'd certainly I like to 
There are other goals I'd like to achieve including blogging and running every day in January (#Janathon), doing a plank every day for as long as possible (#Plankaday) and adding one press up every day until reaching 366 at the end of December #Pressupathon. 

What's really important to me though, and what will make this year another success if I can do it, is to end the year feeling even fitter, healthier and happier than at the start - and to have spent as much time doing running, riding, walking and swimming activities with as many friends and family as I can. 

2011 was a really special year for me, not just because of my change in weight / fitness, but far more importantly, because of how many people I was able to spend time exercising and enjoying the great outdoors with. Through my new found love of fitness and exercise, I've had fantastic new experiences with  with my kids, my parents, my girlfriend and many of my friends, and I've made new friends in "the real world" as well as online too. 

My biggest goal for this year is to keep doing as many fun-filled, healthy exercise activities as I can, with as many of my family and friends as I convince to join me. 

If you've read this far, then I hope I'll be able to run, ride or walk somewhere, sometime with you this year. 

Mike
PS. I should definitely make "shorter blog posts" a big goal for this year too, as this is another that's ended up much, much longer than planned!



3 comments:

  1. Wow! You've set some awesome goals! 3,000 miles? That's biking across America! Don't apologize for your long posts I personally enjoy reading them. I'm super sad I don't live near you to take part in all of the running. I'll have to check out your parkrun link. I'm wondering if it's something we could get started around here. I know plenty of runners in Nelson County we just don't seem to get together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are some impressive goals, Mum and I will offer what support we can! Have you set up a running total somewhere of your mileages or should that be at the start of your daily blog, mileage so far, mileage still to go? And if you have inspired the start of a ParkRun in Virginia that really would be an achievement for 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Heather.

    3,000 miles is quite a daunting number, but I did nearly that number last year, even though I only started tracking activities in April.

    If I ever make it back to your part of the world, or you guys are ever over here, we'll definitely have to go for a run!

    If you fancy setting up a parkrun in Nelson County then it could definitely be done - the guys behind parkrun seem keen to have them set up wherever people want them. It would take a core group (3 to 5 at least) of people willing to organise / marshal the event, and as many runners as you could attract as possible (but I don't think there's a minimum number). It would be fantastic to hear about one being set up over there - maybe you could start just by seeing how many runners you can get to meet up for an informal group run, and take it from there.

    Dad, thanks, I couldn't have done what I have so far with the amazing support from you and Mum, and I'll have a much better chance of hitting this year's goals with you helping as always too.

    I've taken on board your suggestion about logging miles so far etc. on the blog and I'm doing that now :)

    ReplyDelete