Wednesday, January 11, 2012

50 not out...

A shorter blog post tonight as I'm heading out shortly for a landmark run, and wanted to write this first...


Tonight's run will be the 50th Consecutive Day in a row that I've run at least 5K, and while I can't believe I've kept the streak going this long, I've also got no intention of stopping any time soon!


My running streak started on 23rd November, when I thought I'd better start preparing myself for the "Marcothon" challenge that I'd signed up for - which required me to run at least 5K / 25 minutes every day in December (as friends and readers of this blog will have already realised, I can't say "no" to any challenge with "...thon" at the end of its name!).

To prepare for the Marcothon, I thought I'd see how I got on running every day until the end of November, with the hope / expectation that I'd not find it too difficult, and that I'd get into the routine of making time to run every day. 



Those first few, pre-Marcothon days had the desired effect - they got me into the routine of daily running, and more than that, they got me hooked on doing it, so much so that I even ran more than once on some days, time and energy allowing. 


There were some tougher days in December, firstly when being busy at work made it difficult to fit runs in, and then when visiting in Scotland just before the end of the year and it seemed to pour with rain just when I was about to go for a run, pretty much every day. 


Throughout it all though, I really enjoyed both the runs themselves and the self-discipline that I forced myself to have - making sure that I made the time, and had the energy to run at some point every day.

December and the Marcothon ended with a really fun Parkrun in Falkirk (near where we were staying), where there were many Marcothoners running, including the guy whose idea it was in the first place - Marco himself.


When I started this year with a run just after midnight, I figured I might as well keep the streak going longer...


I haven't set myself a goal to run every day this year, or even this month, I just plan to carry on running every day until I stop enjoying the fact that I'm running every day.


And with that, it's time to sign off, as the boys are ready to go, and Andy should be knocking on the door and minute now.


Until tomorrow...


Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment