Monday, January 9, 2012

Traffic jams and a momentous decision...

Today didn't get off to the best of starts - I woke up a bit later than planned, got ready for work slower than planned, and after planking (3m20s) and 9 press ups, headed off to work around 40 mins later than I usually aim to. 


That late start was then compounded by the local schools having gone back today after the Christmas holidays, meaning a big increase in traffic compared with recent weeks. As I sat in the nose-to-tail traffic on Mapperley Plains, I started to think "why am I doing this? I could be running to work!" - that thought was made stronger when I saw a chap running with a rucksack on his back, who'd clearly made the decision I was starting to wish I had. 


By the time I got to work, the journey time had ticked over to 48 minutes, and I was really starting to wonder not just whether it would be more fun to run to work (of course it would!) but possibly quicker too! It's about 8.5 miles to work in the car, but I believe it's more like 6.5miles if you go the shortest running / walking way (using a pedestrian bridge over the Trent that cuts a huge chunk off the distance), and I know I can run 6.5 miles in under 48 mins!


After thinking about it some more, the main reasons I haven't run to work in the past have been pretty simple: 



  1. I usually pick the boys up part way home after work, and we drive rest of the way, it's hard to do that without a car!
  2. I've never felt confident about doing it - 6+, downhill in the morning might be OK, but it's uphill all the way on the way back, and will I be able to manage that after a day at work?
  3. I don't really want to sit in an office all day, sweaty and stinking out my colleagues. 

Tomorrow I'm not picking the boys up, so don't need to worry about that, I'm pretty confident that if I take it gently both ways, I can do the 13 miles, meaning the only real concern is the being sweaty at work. There's not too much I can do about that, as we don't have any showers, so I've packed my biggest can of deodorant, a small pack of baby wipes, and a towel and I'm going to try to take it as easy as I can, as I've decided, I really am going to run to work for the very first time!

I'm quite daunted by the prospect, but really looking forward to it too - I just need to make sure I get up very early, so I can get to work and dry off / cool down before most people get there!

Tonight's run was lots of fun, it was just Jono as I, as the boys didn't fancy it and Ellie and Stuart are away. We made the route up as we went, and ended up doing 10K in just under 53 mins, far, far quicker than Jono has run before - he did great and it was fun chatting as we ran as always. 

Right, I'd better get this posted and get to bed, I'm really looking forward to tomorrow, it's going to be a momentous day, a real microcosm of the change in my attitude to my life / exercise, as this time last year I'd never even ridden my bike to work!

Wish me luck! 

Mike
2012 Stats so far: 


Running: 48.0 miles (77.3K)
Walking: 4.9 miles
Cycling: 40.95 miles
Swimming: 0 miles
Total: 97.7 miles (157.20K)
Running streak: 48 days (started 23/11/2011)










No comments:

Post a Comment