Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Back to work, a crazy milestone, and out of socks!

After yesterday's amazing day of relaxation, it was back to the reality of work today. 


Work-wise it was a fairly uneventful day, though it did strike me that it's likely to be the start of a long run of consecutive weekdays at work - I don't have any more days off planned (other than weekends) until Easter!


Lunchtime was very memorable experience, as I played squash with a new opponent. My adversary wasn't just another new member at the gym though, it was an old school friend, Simon, who I'd reconnected with last year through Facebook. I've been pretty rubbish at keeping in touch with schoolmates and other than the odd chance encounter, hadn't seen or spoken to anyone since I left - in 1993. 


In fact, today was the first time I've arranged to meet anyone from school since we left, and it struck me that it was about 18 1/2 years since I left school, and that I was about 18 1/2 years old when I left. So, being a stats geek and spreadsheet fan, I entered my date of birth, the date I left school (which was also the same day that I started work at the company I'm still at now) and today's date into Excel, and calculated the difference between them. 


Amazingly, it transpired that today was a crazy milestone, the "mid point day". I started work 6782 days ago, which in turn was 6782 days after I first appeared in Leicestershire...  So that means that tomorrow I'll be able to honestly say that I've been working for longer than I haven't, which is kind of scary and also a bit cool (I did my final exam in the morning, and started work in the afternoon).


It was great to catch up with Simon and the game was fun (not just because I maintained my 100% record for the year), and it turned out that Simon's wife had worked just feet away from me in another team, for a few months a couple of years ago, but I'd never made the connection - very small world!


This evening I spent discussing planned running / riding / triathlon events for later this year with my ever-supportive parents, and then with Andy Next Door on tonight's run. 


The run itself was fun as always, it was just Andy and I and we didn't break any records for speed or distance, but did have a great chat and it was definitely a good workout. I didn't want to push too much tonight, as tomorrow, for just the second time ever, I'm running to work! The weather doesn't look great, but I'm still really looking forward to it. I'm going to have to take it fairly steady as I have a run planned with the boys, my half marathon training partners and hopefully Martin too in the evening as well. All being well, it will be a new record for miles run in a single day (current record is 16 - on the day I ran to work last week).


On that note, I'm going to get this posted and get to bed - early start for the run in the morning!


Current 2012 totals - I've just noticed, I've narrowly missed another milestone today (running miles for the year) and should get that and 200 total miles tomorrow!



Running: 99.98 miles
Walking: 13 miles
Cycling: 84 miles
Swimming: 0 miles
Total: 197 miles
Running streak: 56 days (started 23/11/2011)


P.S. As the post title suggests, when I packed my running kit for tomorrow, I realised I am out of running socks! One of the downside of all this activity is that it means lots of washing, which I'm behind with again already!








No comments:

Post a Comment