Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Magic Mark Mends Mike's MotoActv ! :)

The MotoActv is back from the dead... 

A quick post today, partly as I haven't run yet (that's scheduled for straight after work), but mainly as I'm writing this at work in my lunch break, rather than going out for a walk in the wind and rain...


I wanted to get this blog written now, partly as I'm not at home tonight, but mainly as I've got some great news! My colleague Mark (actually one of many colleagues all confusingly named Mark), has worked his magic on my MotoActv GPS watch and has somehow managed to restore it to full health! 

As regular readers of this blog will know (and amazingly there already seem to be a few of you!), I managed to pretty much destroy my MotoActv yesterday due to a typically clumsy incident with a door frame.

More in hope than expectation, I brought the many small pieces of watch in to work today in a plastic food bag, (there were 6 separate bits I think), hoping that Mark would be able to perform the same kind of miraculous repair on it, that he has frequently achieved with damaged iPhones / iPods (not all of them mine :)).

Amazingly, after one very nearly successful attempt, when the device came back to life, but the touchscreen didn't work properly, Magic Mark's second attempt was a complete success - I now have a fully functioning GPS watch on my wrist again, and will be testing it out fully on tonight's run.
Here it is: 

It's back! 

And it even has all my workout data still stored on it too! 

All  workout data still in place - phew!

This afternoon I'll be listening to the music on the MotoActv (it's the only GPS watch I'm aware of that has an MP3 player built-in), whilst burying my head in gigantic spreadsheets, then straight from work I'd heading off for a quick run with my usual training friends, which will hopefully fully confirm that my gadget is fully restored to health. 

Even my phone has been behaving itself so far today (no problems or crashes at all), so I'll see how that performs on tonight's run too.

Right, best get back to the spreadsheets - before I go I need to say a big "thanks" to Magic Mark for making my day with his mending skills, and to everyone who's given me great feedback and kind words on here and Twitter / Facebook about this blog. Many, many thanks to you all too. 

Mike

3 comments:

  1. Great news though now you know how potentially fragile it is, dare you use it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if Magic Mark can lay his hands on my legs and mend them?! Well done Mike, keep on going :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure Mark would have a go at your legs, but electronics are far more his thing. Thanks for your kind comment, really appreciate it.

    Mike

    ReplyDelete