Friday, January 20, 2012

People may say they'll never be runners, I say "never say never" :)...

It's been another fun and exciting #Janathon day. 


It started pretty early with #Pressupathon (20 press ups) and #Situpathon (20 of them too), before I drove to Ellie & Stuart's to run to work with Ellie. Unfortunately, despite our best attempts to sort out leaving clothes etc. at work yesterday ready for today, Ellie had forgotten to leave her laptop there, so had to run with it in a Camelbak rucksack! 


I've come to the conclusion that the logistics of running to work are almost as tough, if not tougher than the running itself - making sure you've left the right clothes at work to get changed into, the deodorant, extra running clothes for the run back, etc. I managed to get it just about right today, and wasn't carrying too much with me, or missing anything significant at work - I do have to go back to the office tomorrow though to pick up the many items of running clothing that I've left there. 


The run to work this morning went pretty smoothly - we took it steadily, and though Ellie found it tough in places, we made it in to the office in reasonable time, especially given the need to stop for traffic / lights etc. 


I spent a lot of the time at work eating again today - not quite as crazily on Wednesday, and despite not sleeping well last night (for the first time in ages), I felt much better during the working day than I had after running in previously. 


The run home was not too taxing either, Ellie did really well to keep going up the steep hills, but the pace was pretty slow due to the many traffic lights, pedestrians, buses etc. that we had to wait for / avoid. 


I've been feeling more tiredness / aches in my legs the past couple of days, so today's relatively gentle runs (despite being almost 10 miles in distance) have helped a bit, but I've still decided that I need to ease up slightly for the next couple of days. Tomorrow I'm just planning to run the Parkrun at Colwick (as always) with the boys and hopefully Andy Next Door too - with the aim to pace at least one of them (and hopefully all 3) to a new PB. Then, rather than heading out for a bike ride, or extra run later on, I'm currently thinking I'll just have a gentle day at home - not sure I can remember what they are like! :)


Tonight after a relatively restful evening, I decided to have a go at breaking my #Plankaday record (4:03). I felt OK from the start, and when I was getting close to my existing record, I called James to come and check my form.  Having him watch me spurred me on to not just beat the 4:03, but to go as far beyond it as I could. In the end I was shaking and sweating no end, when I eventually flopped to the floor after 4 minutes 32 seconds - I don't think I'll beat that in a while!


The other exciting news from today is that my other half Sarah, who just a few weeks ago had hardly ever run, and was protesting that she would "never, ever possibly get into running", has signed up for her first session at her local running club in Lincolnshire and will be going for her first session next Tuesday! I couldn't be more delighted! 


Time to hit the sack now or I'll oversleep for tomorrow morning's Parkrun. 


Here are my stats for the year so far:


Running: 129.55 miles
Walking: 14.26 miles
Cycling: 84.12 miles
Swimming: 0 miles
Total: 227.93 miles
Running streak: 59 days (started 23/11/2011)














No comments:

Post a Comment