Wednesday, January 25, 2012

New shoes, new records....

Today has been a happy, exercise and fun-filled day. It's amazing how much better I've felt all day, despite getting far less sleep (about 3 hours less!) than the night before. 


Getting up on time meant that I was able to get #Pressupathon and #Situpathon out of the way early, and arrive at work feeling awake and on time, rather than half asleep and late!


At lunchtime, I played squash for the first time this week, against one of my semi-regular opponents, Glen, who is a bit older than me, but has a similar attitude / playing style when it comes to squash. Basically, we both make up for what we lack in skill / finesse, by running round the court like lunatics, as fast as we can for as long as we can manage. 


I was able to win the match (maintaining my 100% record for the year), but what pleased me most was that I felt very fast and fit, for pretty much the whole match. I have always run like a madman while playing squash, but in the past, a long, hard-fought point has left me hot, sweaty and "on the ropes" like a boxer who's taken one punch too many. 


Today, in the 4th game (after I'd already won the match) we played one of the longest points I can ever remember - one that involved us both (and especially me), running to the back and then the front of the court several times over. After that point, Glen was really tired (even though he's pretty fit), but I felt great still - a bit out of breath, but that sound passed and it was then that it struck me - I am definitely fitter now, than I have ever been. Not just slightly fitter, but much, much fitter and I feel so, so much better for it. It also makes me more determined to keep improving my fitness as much as I can, (and crossing my fingers that I don't get injured!). 


While I was conducting an appraisal at work this afternoon, an exciting parcel arrived, it was Kieran's new running shoes, which he'd spent the last of his Christmas money on. 


The shoes he picked for himself (at 50% off in January Sale) were Nike Air Streak + 3, which he chose as they were supposed to be really light...


This is what they look like on the scales...


Nike Air Streak + 3 - 162g!


It turned out that they weren't as light as we expected (188g) but even lighter - 162g!!! 
I'm guessing that the 188g weight is for a larger size (probably 10), and Kieran's (as he is only a size 6) are even lighter. 

To put this into perspective, my Brooks ST Racer (my lightest shoes) are 282g and my Asics Gel Kayano 17s (the shoes I've done the most miles in) are 370g - well over twice the weight of Kieran's new ones...

This evening Kieran got the chance to try his new shoes on our weekly intervals session. We ran down to the Forest Rec. from Ellie and Stu's and did alternating fast, slow laps. We did the first 1 mile lap slowly, then went for it on the second lap - Ellie started first and didn't log her full mile time (but I'm guessing it was around 8:30), Kieran and I started after and caught then passed her near the end, and Stuart started last and overtook us after about half the mile. 

Kieran and I stopped the clock in 7:28, which was his fastest individual mile that he's yet recorded, Stuart didn't log his mile separately, but I'm guessing it was probably around 6:15, or maybe even quicker (he is a real speedster). Kieran was delighted with his time, and not just because it was faster than his older brother's best time (7:32) which James ran for mile 3 of last weekend's Parkrun. 

After the run, we went on the "Urban Gym" for a bit - basically heavy duty metal gym equipment that anyone can use for a workout, Kieran did situps with Stuart mentoring him which he really enjoyed. Finally we ran back to Ellie & Stu's for a total distance of just over 5 miles for the day. 

The final record of the day (after lightest shoes and PB for the mile for Kieran) went to me - I decided to do my #Plankaday straight after we got home, and somehow managed a massive new PB of 6 mins 3 secs - that was really tough, but a great way to end the day. 

Here's the summary for the year now:

Running: 158.03 miles
Walking: 21.04 miles
Cycling: 84.12  miles
Swimming: 0 miles
Total: 263.19 miles
Running streak: 64 days (started 23/11/2011)











No comments:

Post a Comment