Tuesday, January 10, 2012

I made it to work - and back!

Today was a big day for me, really big...


Up until May last year, I'd only ever driven to work, Once, probably about 5 years ago, I was having one of my many "I must lose weight" drives, and decided to have a practice ride to work on a Sunday, before, I thought, riding to work the next day. It was far more of a struggle to get to the office than I expected, and I very nearly didn't make it all the way home. After that, I never tried to get to work under my own steam again, until last May, when I rode to work for the first time. 


I made it that day and commuted on my bike several other times last year, and really enjoyed doing it. It took me a similar amount of time to driving in, and the only reason I didn't do it more often, was that most days I pick the boys up after work, and that's pretty tough to do on a bike :). 


I've been thinking about running to work for a while now, but have always ruled it out for several reasons - the aforementioned need to pick the boys up being the main one, but also because there are no showers at work! 


I decided that today, as I didn't need to pick the boys up, it could be a good day to try - and I packed a load of wet wipes, a towel and a big can of deodorant in my bag to try to offset the lack of changing facilities! 


I was a bit nervous as I set off at 7am (after having done my plank and press ups of course!), and was determined not to push it too much, as I didn't want to get too sweaty. I was also quite keen to make it to work in under an hour though, as I thought it was about 6.6 miles. It turned out that it was just over 7 miles, and with the traffic / lights in town, making it under an hour, without getting tired out / sweaty was quite a challenge!


The run itself was fairly uneventful, apart from one big highlight - as I was running through the centre of town, who should I see standing at the bus stop, talking to his friends, but #2 son : Kieran! We exchanged a quick high five, but I didn't stop (I was in the zone and had headphones in).


I was quite sweaty once I got to work - the rucksack on my back saw to that, but after a quick wet wipe / towel down session in the very non-swanky toilets at work, and a liberal application of deodorant, I felt I wasn't too stinky to work. 


At lunchtime I had another great experience - I decided to go for a walk and found the entrance to the nature reserve that backs onto the far side of the estate where I've worked for 15 years. 


I had a lovely 1.25 mile wander and took some pictures that show what it's like - I can't believe I've been so close to it, 5 days a week for 15 years and have never been there before! I don't think many colleagues have been there either, everyone I talked to when I got back and was raving about it, had no idea it was there! 


Reed pond at Wilford Claypit Nature Reserve

It was a lovely day and place for photos
After work I spent quite a bit of time trying to figure out how I could get home without having the rucksack on my back - as I needed to take my wallet, phone, keys etc. Eventually I decided to leave most of things and tied my keys into my shorts using the laces that are usually used to tighten them :). 


The run home was great - I took it fairly steady to start with, as I knew that there were some big hills to climb, and as I got to town and the climb started, I was feeling pretty tired. I slowed my pace as I got to the mile+ drag up Woodborough Rd, and eased up the 300ft of non-stop climbing. As I reached the top, I got my second wind - realising that I was just over 2 miles from home, and it would be flat all the way, I pushed on. I felt great for the rest of the run and decided to aim to get home in under an hour - and just managed it! 


I was on a real high when I got home - not just about the achievement of running a total of over 14 miles to work and back, but feeling as though I could run further. So I did! 


I needed to go to Mum and Dad's, just over a mile a way, to check if they had any post - and had no intention of driving there, and couldn't be bothered to change into warmer clothes to walk there - so I ran. 


As it turned out, there was no post there anyway, and by the time I got home, despite having taken it very gently, I was really, really tired, but also incredibly happy. Today I've run over 16 miles, that's 50% further than any day, ever before, I've run to work for the first time, been for a lovely walk and enjoyed it so much. 


In fact, I enjoyed running to work so much, I'm thinking about doing it again on Friday!


Here's the summary of the year so far: 



Running: 64.3 miles (103.5K)
Walking: 7.5 miles
Cycling: 40.95 miles
Swimming: 0 miles
Total: 112.7 miles (181.33K)
Running streak: 49 days (started 23/11/2011)


Mike

2 comments:

  1. A fellow legged commuter! Good on you. Though I have showers at work I do use the commute run as a slow 'watch the world go by' run generally. Its pretty amazing how the regular slow paced runs help your overall health and fitness.

    A great way to start and end the working day!

    Barefoot Running

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, high five from oldies up north. You are well on target for your annual goals, good for you. Love the sound of the nature reserve; it is amazing what can be just round the corner, or right under your nose but still totally off the radar until a spark of inspiration brings it into full focus.
    Work days/boy days have you considered running from/to Eds Lane?
    Love from the dancing Scotties

    ReplyDelete