Saturday, December 31, 2011

First past the post...

Here goes...

So, after thinking about it for a while and supportive "go for it, people would love to hear your story" and less positive: "that will be overkill - Twitter, Facebook and RunKeeper are more than enough" feedback from friends and family, I've decided to finally give blogging a go!

I hope this blog will give those who'd like it, a deeper insight into my ongoing battle to banish my former self (the Mr Blobby character I used to be) and a close up view of my journey, as I hopefully continue to increase my fitness, and my happiness to levels I never thought I'd reach.

As I've never blogged before, I'm not going to ramble on too much in this first post, but for those who don't know, I used to struggle with my weight, a lot... At the end of 2010 I was very unhappy with my body size, and my fitness, I'd hardly ridden a bike in years, and had never run more than a mile, ever.

When I stepped on the scales at the start of January 2011, I saw numbers that really scared me : 15st 7lbs (217lbs / 98.4Kg), and I knew what they meant - I wasn't just overweight, I was morbidly obese, and was on a fast track to an early grave...

I decided enough was finally enough - I was sick of being Mr Blobby, of trying fad diets and failing to get even close to the level of fitness I'd always aspired to.

I started dieting and exercising, not following a set diet plan, but instead using a calorie-counting app on my phone (MyFitnessPal) to log every single calorie that I consumed, and making sure that I took in fewer calories than the daily target that the app set me.

I also started exercising - doing cross trainer (eliptical) sessions at the gym at first, then as the weather improved, getting back into bike riding (having been a keen cyclist as a teenager)... With MyFitnessPal every calorie I burned through exercise was added to my daily goal, so the more I exercised, the more I could eat!

Then in March, I downloaded another app : RunKeeper and really started getting into exercise in a big way - RunKeeper appeals to my geeky, stats-obsessed side and I've been religiously tracking all my exercise ever since.

Ok, I'm painfully aware that I've already rambled on for ages despite promising not too - I'm also aware that if this first post doesn't work, the more I've written, the more disappointed I will be! :)

A year on from my diet / fitness epiphany, I'm now about 5st / 70lbs / 32Kg lighter, and more importantly I'm far fitter and happier in myself than I've been at any time in my adult life.

I was going to add some before and after images, but can't seem to get that to work, so I'll sign off now and add them to a future post.

All the best for 2012,

Mike
No longer Mr Blobby

Ps. Seem to have managed to add a couple of pics - with my boys, November 2010 (Mr Blobby) and August 2011 (Not so Blobby)

7 comments:

  1. Fantastic achievement Mike, a fine example for others to follow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Richard, kind words greatly appreciated. Thanks also for being the first commenter on my first post on my first blog!

    Happy New Year,
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great start. 2012 will be a good one! Dad

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the before and after pics. Surely that moustache was worth a couple of kilos? Shame the boys didn't grow one each too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Dad

    Daz, not sure the boys would grow them even if they could, they might have got into fitness with me, but reckon Movember moustaches would be asking too much, even for them :). Give it a few years, I'm sure they will - reckon you should this year too...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice job Mike! Very inspiring. Maybe one day I will actually follow your path! In the meantime I will read your blog for motivation. Heather

    ReplyDelete